Credit Card Fraud Defense Attorney in Des Moines
Quality Legal Representation for Credit Card Charge Defense in Polk County
Credit card fraud is one of the most commonly committed crimes in the state of Iowa. People's credit card numbers are stolen every day and used to purchase items that are unauthorized by the credit card holder. If a person is charged with credit card fraud, they can be looking at some very harsh penalties. The person may have a felony on their record for life and face a $13,660 fine in addition to being required to pay back all of the items that were purchased without the cardholder’s permission.
Aside from the court ramifications, this is a crime of dishonesty. Employment opportunities can fade away and relationships can be ruined due to lack of trust. This is not a crime to take lightly. Retain our Des Moines credit card fraud defense attorney if you are facing this type of charge.
Call (515) 996-4441 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.
What is Credit Card Fraud?
A person commits a public offense by using a credit card for the purpose of obtaining property or services with knowledge that:
- The credit card is stolen or forged
- The credit card has been revoked or canceled
- The use of the credit card is unauthorized
Penalties for Credit Card Fraud
- If the value of the property or services stolen isgreater than $10,000, the offense is deemed a class C felony. Conviction of a class C felony carries up to 10 years in prison and a $13,660 fine along with a 15% surcharge on the fine and $100 court costs.
- If the value of the property or services stolen is between $1,000 and $10,000, it is a class D felony. A conviction of a class D felony carries up to five years in prison and a $10,245 fine along with a 15% surcharge on the fine and $100 court costs.
- If the value of the property or services stolen is less than $1,000 it is an aggravated misdemeanor. A conviction of an aggravated misdemeanor carries up to two years in prison and a $8,540 fine along with a 15% surcharge and $100 court costs.
The "value" of the property or services taken is determined by the "highest value of the property or services determined by any reasonable standard at the time the violation occurred." This can include the market value, actual value, and replacement value. The term "value" is somewhat vague in a sense, but the state is generally given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the value of the property or services.
Seek Guidance from Feld Law Firm
If you are charged with credit card fraud, it is a good idea to speak with a credit card fraud defense attorney in Des Moines immediately. Do not speak with law enforcement until you have retained an attorney. It is so important that you do this.
If you have any other questions regarding credit card fraud, do not hesitate to contact Feld Law Firm at (515) 996-4441 to schedule a free consultation.
Why Feld Law Firm is the Right Choice?
Honest and Straight Forward Guidance
Not Afraid to go to Trial
Hundreds of Cases Handled
Polk County Simple Misdemeanors Starting as low as $1000
Call us today at 515-996-4441 for a free consultation. We will be happy to discuss your matter.
Our Recent Case Results
Felony Burglary & Criminal Mischief Penalty Reduced
Possession of Controlled Substance Case Dismissed
Patient Abuse Not Guilty
Theft Not Guilty
OWI Case Dismissed
OWI Penalty Reduced
OWI Case Dismissed
OWI second Offense and 3 counts of Child Endangerment Case Dismissed
Possession of substance Dismissed